There are many parallels between the FIFA World Cup and parenting life. Here are 8 ways the World Cup and parenting are exactly alike. Yes, diving is involved.
1) BORING BUT BEAUTIFUL
There is a lot of what outsiders would deem mundane activity, boring stuff, but what good parents and fans of futbol understand equally is that the beauty lies in the nuance and the subtlety and the struggle and the suffering and the planning and the ditching your plans to wing it and the sudden outbursts of perfection punctuated by pure, unadulterated exultation of joy.
2) I’M DYING…I’M FINE
The tantrums and feigning of injury on the pitch are to futbol what exaggerated injuries and hysterical screaming before being right back on the monkey bars 7 seconds later is to parenting.
3) THE COLORS AND THE DANCING AND THE SINGING AND THE FACE PAINT…AND THE STUFFED ANIMALS CHICKENS.
4) HE DID IT!
There are no shortage of obviously guilty parties pleading their cases hopelessly to those in charge, and trying to blame others every chance they get.
5) HOLDING HANDS, SWAPPING SHIRTS
Both parenting and futbol begin with holding hands and both eventually end with sharing clothes.
6) PICTURE DAY
7) THE HULK
8) EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT STYLE
Every country plays futbol and every country parents their young, but every country puts their own spin on how both are best done.
- Helicopter parenting is Spain’s Tiki Taka.
- Free Range parenting is Chile’s thrusting forward with a weak backline.
- Abusive households resemble Honduras’ yellow card kicking approach.
- The Reason With Your Kids parent resembles Germany’s pragmatic style.
- The Disciplinarian parent is the Iran defend till the death style.
- The no screen time/no sweets moms and dads park the bus like Greece.
- While the rest of us attempt to play the Beautiful Game with flair as we make it up every single day.