OWTK PHILLY LOCAL: The Debut Of Second Saturday For Families on East Passyunk AveOWTK PHILLY LOCAL — By Jeff on September 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Hey, all you hip Philly families, get thee gang over to East Passyunk Avenue this Saturday for the debut of a new monthly event dubbed Second Saturday For Families. What is this, you might wonder? Well, it is a time when the 150+ independently-owned shops and restaurants of East Passyunk Ave (or EPA to those in the know) open their doors, serve treats, offer prizes and discounts, and generally take great care of you and your little ones. Think of it as 1st Friday for those unable to stay up late anymore!
Here is what’s on the docket for the first Second Saturday, this coming weekend September 8th 2012 (visit the event’s Facebook page for up-to-the-minute info):
PHILADELPHIA, PA – East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District (EPABID) presents the debut of “Second Saturday for Families” this Saturday, September 8, 2012, from 10:00am to 5:00pm.
Philadelphia’s “it place” for grownup dining, drinks, fashion and fun jumps into fall with a kid-friendly version of the popular “Second Saturday” series. Families are invited to enjoy back to school shopping, live entertainment, public tours, craft activities, family meals and free prizes! Many activities are discounted or free. For updated event information, visit the event invite on East Passyunk Ave on Facebook, visit www.visiteastpassyunk.com or call (215) 336-1455.
Special activities planned for Second Saturday for Families include free craft activities, live music and even cupcake decorating. The list of scheduled activities is below:
- 10:00am – 5:00pm – Pixie Toes (1810 EPA) – Halloween arrived early! Enjoy tricks and treats with free popcorn, door prizes, and a preview of Halloween party decorations. Save $5 off any order of children’s invitations.
- 10:00am – 3:00pm – South Philadelphia Older Adult Center (1430 EPA) – Find some hidden treasures at bargain prices with this annual flea market.
- 11:00am – 12:00pm – Alphabet Academy, The Treehouse (1506 EPA) – Kids are invited to partake in free craft activities and snacks, as parents take a free tour of South Philly’s eco- friendly facility for children two to five years old. On the tour, enter to win a special back to school prize. For information, call (215) 551-6410.
- 11:30am – 12:30pm – Outside of A Man’s Image (1709 EPA) – Live music from Willie: Enjoy crowd favorites that will please parents and kids alike. In the event of rain, this will be moved to Alphabet Academy, Alphabet Aquarium (1720 EPA).
- 11:30am – 12:30pm – Alphabet Academy, Alphabet Aquarium (1720 EPA) – Kids will enjoy rooftop fun and apple painting activity while parents enjoy a free tour of this nautical themed center. Tour participant can enter to win a special “Back to School” prize. For more information, call (215) 551-6410.
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm – Ms Goody Cupcake (1838 EPA) – Children can decorate and frost their own cupcakes for only $2!
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm – Nice Things… Handmade (1731 EPA) – Bring the kids for a Handmade Kids’ Pit Stop with a free craft activity.
Special lunch and snack menus are available at the following locations:
- Favors & Flavors (1827 EPA) – Enjoy $1 kiddie size ice cream (half off regular price).
- FUEL (1917 EPA) – Families save with three courses for only $10. Feast on a wide selection of paninis, fruit smoothies, healthy desserts and fresh salads.
- Mamma Maria Ristorante (1637 EPA) – Enjoy three courses with South Philly’s most famous Mamma. Pricing is $20 for adults and $10 for kids.
- Ms Goody Cupcake (1838 EPA) – Cupcake special only $6/$10, and cake truffles buy one get one free.
- Noir Philadelphia (1909 EPA) – Special Saturday lunch hours with family friend fare. Half off Flat Bread Pizza, Arancini Balls, Mac & Cheese, Baby Spinach Salad, Hot Dog (With choice of Fries or House Salad), Fresh Local Veggie Sandwich and Potato Gnocchi in fresh Marinara.
Win great prizes and enjoy discounted shopping with in-store promotions for the kids, moms and dads, including:
- A Star is Born (1821 EPA) – Save 10% off one regular priced item (Excluding special orders and specialty items).
- Headhunters Hair Design (1718 EPA) – Deal for Moms and Dads! Dads will enjoy $5 off a men’s haircut (Valid on appointments this day or when you book this day for the following week). Moms will enjoy a free eyebrow waxing. 50% off men’s hair products when you mention Second Saturday.
- Kings Music (1828 EPA) – Sign up for kids’ music lessons and save $5 off the first three lessons (reg price $30).
- Sermania Jewelry (1719 EPA) – Baked goods, pretzel rivets, and small water bottles will be served! Save with 50% off jewelry chest and special repairs made in shop.
- South Philly Comics (1840 EPA) – Save 10% off kids comic books. Older children can stretch their allowance with $1 bargain bin deals.
- Urban Jungle (1526 EPA) – Save 20-30% off seasonal items. Stop in for some deals perfect for those with a green thumb!
- Next (ontheave) (1815 EPA) – Dads will enjoy 25% off regular priced items – don’t miss their amazing selection of Phillies merchandise.
- Nicole Rae Styer Boutique (1822 EPA) – Fall is a great time for amazing women’s fashion! Save 20% off select items for Mom.
- Novo Salon (1607 EPA) – Save 20% off services when you mention “Second Saturday for Families.
Second Saturday for Families is sponsored by East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District, Alphabet Academy and Belle Cakery. This special day is one of several exciting family activities on East Passyunk in the fall and winter months. On Saturday, East Passyunk Avenue is home to over 150 independently-owned shops and restaurants, offering an excellent opportunity to stretch your legs and take a stroll up the Avenue. For more information and directions, go to www.visiteastpassyunk.com.